Past posts:

Previous blog posts from last year can be found.... HERE.

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Sorry......



I have often said "even if given the opportunity, I would not change places with a soul in the world!" Part of the reason is so many new friends have come into my life through PD events.
I was with one of those new friends a few weeks ago wh6en a new friend relayed to me that after many, many years of denial he was just now telling his friends, associates, clients, etc that he was "sorry" to have to tell them he had Parkinson's. I was shocked, my mouth dropped open as I quickly brought up my mental dictionary:
sor·ry 1. Feeling or expressing sympathy, pity. 2. Worthless or inferior; paltry. 3. Causing sorrow, grief, or misfortune; grievous.
I tried to prepare my words carefully (didn't work) and said in a loud firm tone, "what the (heck) are you sorry about!!!" No, I did not use the word 'heck'. But I guess I caught him off guard as he was speachless, so I asked him again, what was he sorry about? What did he do wrong? The way he used the word "sorry" implied he was guilty or at least culpable of some bad deed. Unfortunately, I hear this a lot.
It's not just that they say it apologetically, to me it is deeper than that. By saying anything like "I am sorry to say I have PD", that lessens me. It suppresses the spirit. As for me, I am looking to empower myself, and others, in the fight against this insidious disease. So while I am sorry for many stupid things I have done in my 55 years, I am neither sorry nor guilty of contracting Parkinson's. Though, I almost feel sorry FOR Parkinson for I intend to beat it, cheat it or do anything necessary to deny it the ability to live. But that is a whole different article.

As for where we are today? ROAD TRIP! to a family reunion 100 mi inland. The voyage resumes from Hampton VA ON Tuesday. Next week, Cape Hatteras. Going to see what the fuss is all about. (Just kidding Poseidon)

No comments :

Post a Comment